Portland property management team recommends winter precautions
As a Portland Oregon property managment company we work hard to help property owners and tenants avoid unnecessary winter hassles.
When winter is threatening to turn cold and could do possible damage to your plumbing and general property, please make sure and follow these few easy steps to avoid property damage. Remember, these steps are only effective if taken prior to the harsh weather arriving:
- Make sure all outdoor water spigots have hose bib covers on them
- Roll up your garden hoses and store them away making sure that there is no water in the line
- Walk around the perimeter of your home and make sure that all your foundation vents are closed and either close the attached cover or if missing, cut a piece of Styrofoam to snugly fit to prevent cold air from entering under your home and costing you more to heat your house
- If you are going to be out of town, even for the weekend, please set your thermostat to at least 55 degrees. If you have pets, you may want to consider leaving it at a bit higher temperature.
- If you are going to be away please leave the cabinet doors open to the areas that have plumbing (kitchen and bath sinks), this way the warm house temperature can aid in not allowing your pipes to freeze
- Locate your water main in the event you need to shut it off in an emergency. Water spewing from a pipe can do a lot of damage and we may not be in a position to race right over especially if the weather is bad in our location too
- If you are going to be gone longer than 3 days, please notify your property manager so we are aware and can keep an eye open for you